Tuesday, February 10, 2009

TPF: Spurgeon, Pierre and the Smiling Osteen


A certain world famous blogger thought it would be really funny to cover up my portrait of C.H. Spurgeon today with the glimmering smile of one Joel Osteen. Now there is a study in contrasts!

Speaking of contrasts… watching Mr. Osteen on Youtube today made me pause in wonder at what he does in a pulpit compared to what Dr. Pierre Constant was urging upon us at the Toronto Pastors Fellowship yesterday. Pierre had a great presentation on how to preach the text.

Every week, Joel and the thousands chant:

“This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the word of God. I boldly confess my mind is alert, my heart is receptive; Ill never be the same. In Jesus name, God bless you.”


And then everybody puts their Bible under their seats and listens to Joel talk about stuff.

Osteen is a pretty easy target, but I wonder how many times what we call “expository preaching” is not that much different from what happens in Texas every week? Do we really say what the Bible says? Do we stick to the text and only the text? Do we labour in study and pulpit to not only tell our people what it says, and what it means by what it says… but also to teach them by our methods how to do that on their own? Pierre gave some wonderful instruction on how to do it all. Be sure to download the audio and a pdf of the paper to follow along.

4 comments:

  1. The Prince of Preachers got a facelift. Yikes!

    As always, looking forward to the audio from TPF.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Osteen is a first rate heretic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Osteen vs. Spurgeon! Yikes!! The juxtaposition is reaping serious cognitive dissonance ;-/.

    Such an inspiring declaration (a.k.a. "chant") by thousands, but so very sad that perhaps most come to hear Osteen rather than hear God in Scripture.

    Your question, however, is piercing and should be asked AND answered by all who don the pulpit. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At the end of Olsteen's pep talks he also invites his listeners to repeat a prayer and tells them that if they did that they are saved. Olsteen is not alone in this.....this happens all over America!

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.