Wednesday, March 28, 2007

In Preparation for Prayer Meeting

Come, My Soul, Thy Suit Prepare
Come, my soul, thy suit prepare: Jesus loves to answer prayer;
He Himself has bid thee pray, therefore will not tell thee nay.
Thou art coming to a King, large petitions with thee bring;
For His grace and power are such, none can ever ask too much.

With my burden I begin: Lord, remove this load of sin;
Let Thy blood, for sinners spilt, set my conscience free from guilt.
Lord, I come to Thee for rest, take possession of my breast;
There Thy blood-bought right maintain, and without a rival reign.

As the image in the glass answers the beholder’s face;
Thus unto my heart appear, print Thine own resemblance there.
While I am a pilgrim here, let Thy love my spirit cheer;
As my Guide, my Guard, my Friend, lead me to my journey’s end.

Words: John Newton, Olney Hymns (London: W. Oliver, 1779).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.